Le jour du travail!

Work. Work. Work. There are countless proverbs, quotes, debates and discussions, philosophical approach, articles and books dedicated in the honor of the duty of individuals to work. This well-saught after and praised quality in a person is instilled, for the most part, during childhood; whether one was obligated to or for parents to give a strong sense of ethics to their offsprings. As I recollect the ideals that filled my childhood, everytime I work or hear of its importance, my memory takes me back to my teenage years in Haiti. My father is one who made it his solemn duty to teach his two sons and two daughters the (sweet) fruit that working bears. For instance, on a typical saturday morning, everyone in the family had their assigned responsibilities. However, on that day I managed to finish my task in record-time. Needless to say that I was quite content with my speediness...I was pleased! Well, little did I know and realized that my father came up with additional chores for me to perform. I was furious yet contained myself. A few minutes later I had to ask my father the point of his action. Then, quietly he looked at me straight in the eyes and in his teaching-like manner pronounced these words: "Johanne, work is never done". This statement remained in my mind...it still does. Now, in the spirit to question ideas and seek a different approach to balance life, I will use the words of the famous 18th Century French philosopher, Jean-Jacques Rousseau who wrote: " The training of children is a profession, where we must know to waste time in order to save it."

Popular Posts