Je suis artiste!

From my generation on, there has been a common trend or a natural rush to use the marvelous features of technology. I am no different than my peers, so it only came with no second thought that I turned to an online source for the definition of the word: ARTIST. Therefore, according to WordReference.com English Dictionary, the word ARTIST is "a person whose creative work shows sensitivity and imagination". While I am not refering to the word ARTISTE- with an E- I would like to make the point that I AM an artist...the author of the creativity of the only life I have been honored with, thus far. There has been that (unfounded) stereotype circulating since the beginning of industrial times that such attributes in an individual is perceived to be unimportant, incompetent or weak because, in some cases, the ARTIST has 'failed' to amass an exponentially greater amount of wealth to live 'successfully'. While this is a relative mentality, here is my intellectual plea: If one truly considers the meaning of the ARTIST definition, one must clearly understand that such person is within every individual- even the ones 'full of the facts of life'. Every person is endowed with the ability to be creative whether he or she be an engineer or a poet, a computer analyst, a surgeon or a stay-at-home-parent. Growing up in a suburb of Haiti, Carrefour, my parents, especially my father, would (sometimes jokingly)refer to me as "the artist of the family". Then, I would smile not fully aware of such definition. All I knew for certain was that I would pass my science classes while my greater curiosity remained for the expression of the arts. Now, I know the implication of such meaning and will own up to it because I am.

Popular Posts