Un questionnaire ingénieux!

A few weeks ago, while catching up with the news on TV in the Purdue Memorial Union building, I was approached by three young women. One among them was clearly expecting. My natural reaction was to make some room for them near my sitting area. The (pregnant) young woman made eye contact with me and ask me if she could ask me a few questions concerning the (sensitive) topic of Teen Pregnacy in the USA. On that note, I invited her to seat closer as she explains the details of the content of her 10-question survey. However, the next 5 minutes turned out to be entirely different than what I had anticipated. I answered her questions- which were rather direct and clear. Some of them pertained to my opinion on the freedom of teens to raise children, if I was in favor of or agaisnt such practice amongst teenagers. My answers were formulated with care yet revealed the truth of my heart-felt ideas on such delicate matter. Here is the catch: little did I know that I was ambushed for some social child developement class project at PU in order for them to collect a genuine answer from the people they would survey. The three young women kindly explained-then apologized a bit if they had confused me- the true nature of the questionnaire. In reality, the young woman who was supposed to be pregnant was not and they were students in their sophomore year. Now, after they had left and I had analyzed the deeper nature of the questions that were posed, I was glad to be candid yet respectful as I answered. It is not for me to pass any condescending nor applauding judgment. It ultimately remains in the hands of the parties involved.

Popular Posts